Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Tale of the Two Dolls

During a trip to Alaska, my mother came across two dolls. At first, she was shocked. Perhaps, she was even a little horrified. They looked exactly like her adorable and oh-so-precious twin daughters as cute babies. Not only that, the two dolls wore very similar outfits and had similar chubby-chubby cheeks. Turning away, she huffed and shook her head in a very Indian-yar-yar-manner and muttered to herself "What a waste of money," followed by a very Indian-yar flick of the wrist.

Several days past, the two dolls lurked, drank tea and threw snowballs in the corner of my little Indian mom's memory palace. As she traveled to icebergs, sailed ships and watched wolves, my mother could see them dwelling about. The dolls were perched on the iceberg. The dolls merrily sailed the ships. The dolls rode the back of wolves.

On the last day, of my mother's Alaskan adventure, she threw her hands up, ran to the store and purchased the two dolls. The two dolls turned their eyes, tilted their heads and smiled.

True story.




My mother gave one doll to me. She gave the other doll to Darshana. My father picked up a doll for my little sister, knowing she'd feel so sad and so left out. A strange looking one with long long hair and long long face. And White.
I call my doll "matu". And Matu calls her doll "chimi". Anushya calls her doll "Little French Girl"

The End.

No comments: